DIY Furnace Repair in Chicago, IL | Furnace Troubleshooting Tips For The Homeowner
We all know how frustrating it can be to wake up and discover that the furnace is not working. First comes the panic of not having heat. Next comes the anger of having to pay a company who performs furnace repair in Chicago, IL to come out. Finally comes the acceptance that you are helpless in heating and cooling matters. Is this you? Do you want to change? Yes? Good. Let’s start by empowering you with a few furnace troubleshooting tips that may save you money and embarrassment the next time your furnace doesn’t work.
Believe it or not, thermostat issues are one of the most common reasons people call us for furnace repair in Chicago, IL. Before picking up the phone and opening your wallet, try the following to see if it resolves your issues:
- Make sure the thermostat is set to HEAT (not COOL, or OFF).
- Raise the thermostat to 5 degrees above the current room temperature to test the furnace.
- Make sure the thermostat has power.
Furnace Power Connections
Another way to avoid calling a heating and cooling company for furnace repair in Chicago, IL is to check the power to your furnace. While it may be funny to have a HVAC tech come over and tell you that the power was the problem, paying the service call charge isn’t.
- Make sure that the switch on the furnace is turned on. All furnaces have what looks like a light switch on them. Make sure this is switched to the ON position. Sometimes these switches can accidentally be switched off.
- Check your circuit breaker. Has your furnace tripped the breaker? If so, reset it and try it.
Change Your Furnace Filter
One way to keep your furnace running smoothly and efficiently is to change your furnace filter regularly. “What? I have a filter in my furnace?!”, if that is your response, you probably are in need of a furnace repair in Chicago, IL. However, if you do know that you have a filter, but you haven’t changed it in a while, get on it!
- Clogged furnace filters can cause the heat exchanger to overheat, which in turn will shut the furnace down.
- Dirty furnace filters cause your furnace to work harder, less efficiently, and will decrease the life of your unit.
The fact is, there are times that we are called out to perform furnace repair in Chicago, IL that could have been avoided. We do walk our customers through a check list of things such as thermostat trouble shooting over the phone. This saves us time, and our customers money. However, if you have never changed your furnace filter, the damage is probably done, and a professional will have to look at it. If you have tried the above suggestions and your furnace is still not operating properly, contact us today. We offer the lowest service call charge in the area at $59.95. Also, if you already have had another Chicago HVAC contractor give you an estimate, we will come out and give you a FREE 2nd opinion on all furnace repair service.