House Hacks for Cold Weather | Chicago Heating Service Experts
Cold temperatures can be down right scary. Especially when the Polar vortex rears its ugly head. When temperatures drop in Chicago, it is important to take precautions to ensure your family’s safety and comfort. If you live I an older home there are a few hacks that can keep you warm during this winter in Chicago. Not all heating issues require a Heating service company to remedy. By performing a few basic tasks, you can keep the cold air out, and lower your heating bills.
- Window Insulation Film Kit: If your home has older windows, you can benefit from installing window insulation film over them. The process is not complicated and can be performed by any homeowner. The film is applied over a window with a 2-sided tape and then fitted with a hair dryer. This is perhaps one of the most affordable and effective methods to retaining heat in your home. This means that your furnace will not have work as hard to keep your home at the desired temperature. As a result, you can avoid unexpected heating service calls and enjoy lower utility bills.
- Add Insulation: Adding extra insulation to your home will keep your home warm, and also reduce heating bills. Most homes can benefit from additional insulation in the attic. Signs of an under-insulated home include cold floors & ceilings, ice dams, cold spots, and exorbitant heating and cooling bills, and drafts.
- Weather Stripping: Be sure to check for drafts through cracks in doors. If you are experiencing infiltration, install new weather stripping to remedy the situation. Homeowners can also purchase products to stop drafts under doors as well.
- Insulated Curtains: Curtains over windows also keep the cold out. Black out curtains and insulated drapes do the best job at helping your home retain heat.
- Humidifier: Humidifiers create a comfortable indoor environment that requires less heat. Not only will you benefit from less static, dry skin, etc, but you will not need to set your furnace as high to feel comfortable. However, as temperatures drop below zero you will have to adjust your settings to control frost on your windows.
By following some, or all of the aforementioned tips, you can limit heating service calls and lower your utility bills this winter. Homeowners can contact a professional to perform a home energy audit to determine additional steps to maximize energy efficiency. If you are looking to install a high efficiency furnace, humidifier, or radiant heating system contact us today for a Free Estimate.