Chicago AC Repair | How to Choose A Chicago Air Conditioner Repair Company
As the heatwave continues throughout Chicago and the suburbs, air conditioners are being put to the test. During these demanding times, many homeowners experience a breakdown. Normally, this is not a true emergency, and people get by with fans and open windows. However, when temperatures spike into the 90’s, a broken air conditioner can lead to dangerous conditions. This is especially true for homes with elderly or young family members. High temperatures and humidity are especially dangerous to vulnerable people with underlying health conditions as well. If your family has special needs, or if you simply can’t stand the heat, it is important to get your air conditioner running as soon as possible if there is a breakdown. When choosing a Chicago AC Repair company, here are some tips.
Choosing a Reputable Chicago AC Repair Company
First off, there are a lot of heating and cooling companies in Chicago. That being said, there is a wide spectrum when it comes to service and quality. Homeowners have the choice of large companies, smaller companies, and independent operators. Unfortunately, when simply searching the internet, you may not know which one you are getting. This is because anyone can advertise on the internet and have a website. A shiny website and a heavy presence on Google doesn’t necessarily mean quality. Research is not fun, but it is extremely important when choosing a HVAC company in Chicago. A few quick ways to tell if the Chicago AC repair company you are considering is reputable are:
- The company is Licensed, Bonded and insured.
- The company provides references upon request.
- They have positive online reviews. (This one is tricky. Look for companies with a large amount of reviews. Companies with a high rating but only have a few reviews can be deceiving. Also, search reviews on multiple sites such as Google, Angies List, the BBB, Facebook, etc.)
- Always consider recommendations from family and friends. If they had a positive experience, you probably will too.
- Are they large enough to handle a high volume of service calls? If not, you may be left waiting for days before your repair is completed.
Additional Considerations When Selecting an Air Conditioner Repair Company in Chicago
Cost is always a factor when choosing an Air Conditioner service company. Most companies will charge you a service call fee. This fee covers operating costs for the technician to travel to your location and diagnose the problem. This fee is extra and added to the total cost of the repair. If you are told that you must pay a fee, it is common practice. Some companies say they do not charge one, but you can rest assured that their repair estimate will have those costs inflated into the final price. In fact, the free repair estimate is only a gimmick. However, every HVAC contractor in Chicago will offer a Free Estimate on a new air conditioner.
While you will always end up paying a service fee of some sort, there are still some ways to save money on your air conditioner repair.
- Ask about a Free 2nd Opinion on a repair: Many companies offer one if you already have a written estimate from another legitimate company.
- Coupons for first-time customers: Many Chicago heating and cooling companies offer discounts to new customers.
- Senior & Military Discounts: If you are a senior citizen, or have served in the military you can usually score a discount.
At Polar Heating and Air Conditioning, we strive for excellence in customer service. We have thousands of satisfied customers throughout Chicago, the suburbs and NW Indiana. Our customers choose us because we offer affordable HVAC services and stand behind all work that we perform. Experience the Polar difference for yourself. Contact us today to schedule a service call.