Tell me if this scenario sounds familiar? The weather says its going to be 90 degrees so you decide to turn on your central air conditioner only to find that something isn’t right. Where do you begin? To answer that question, you will need to find out a couple of things. The purpose of our HVAC Talk today is to help you to identify a few common Air condiitoner repair problems so you can know what to expect when you start calling Orland Park Air Conditioner repair companies. It is always best to go into any situation with a good understanding of what will be involved to fix it. Let’s begin!
My Air Conditioner In My Orland Park, IL Home Turns On, But Doesn’t Cool The House
This is perhaps the most common call we get from homeowners. Fortunately, there are a few diagnostics that you can run yourself before you call an air conditioner repair company.
- Check your thermostat: Make sure that you have set your thermostat lower than the temperature of your home. All thermostats tell you what the current temperature is. Simply turn your cooling setting to 5 degrees lower. After doing so, wait an hour or so to see if the problem has corrected itself. If it has not, it is time to take a look at a few key components of your air conditioning system. First, go outside and make sure that the outside unit is running. If it is not, read the next section. If it is, place your hand over the fan and feel the temperature of the air coming off of the air conditioner. Is it warm or not? If it is not, that means it is not cooling your home properly. Head inside and locate your lineset, This is the insulated tube that leads from your outside unit to your air handler unit(furnace). Is it wet with condensation? If so the problem may be a refrigerant leak and it is time to call an air conditioning repair company in Orland Park, IL. Odds are that you will need a leak test performed and have your unit re-charged or replaced depending on the size or location of the leak.
My Air Conditioner In My Orland Park, IL Home Doesn’t Turn On
This could be a couple of issues. By testing a few things, you can either get things running again, or you can decide to call a professional. Check the following to find out if you can get things running smoothly again.
- Check your thermostat: Once again, this is a common occurrence. Make sure that the thermostat is set to cool and the temperature is set lower than the house. If things start up, Great! If not, read on.
- Check your circuit breaker: Make sure that no fuses have been tripped. If so, switch it back to on, and try your unit again. If this is not the case, keep reading.
- Check the breaker outside: There is a breaker box located outside next to the unit itself. Located it an make sure that it is turned on, If it is, and it is still not running, turn it to off, and pull the block out and push it back in. If this doesn’t work, head to the furnace (air handler).
- Check your switch on the Air Handler: There is a “light switch” installed on your furnace that turns it on and off. Turn your fan on from the thermostat and see if the fan is running, if not, toggle the switch. If the fan starts, check the outside unit and make sure it is running. Wait awhile and see if the temperature is cooler. If not, it may be time to call a professional HVAC company to look at it.
I need A Professional Air Conditioner Repair Company and Live in Orland Park, IL – How Do I Choose The Right One?
When choosing between HVAC companies in Orland Park, IL it is good to do a little homework. While internet reviews are a good way to get a grasp on a company’s reputation, you will want to take some of these with a grain of salt. Many companies pay for advertising companies to augment reviews on sites to give the appearance of many satisfied customers. Others have partnered with review sites to have their company appear first on sites such as yelp, Angie’s List, and the BBB. These sites will often hide negative reviews as a result. What can you do?
- Use the power of social media: Let your friends on Facebook or other sites know that you are looking for suggestions for reputable air conditioning companies in Orland Park. You would be surprised who comes forward. The best part is that it is unbiased.
- Neighbors: Ask you neighbors who they use.
- Call Potential Companies and ask for references: Many reputatble HVAC companies will be happy to give you a list of previous customers to call and ask about their experience. While this may not be completely unbiased, a company that does bad work won’t have any to offer.
Polar Heating and Air Condoning in Orland Park, IL offers complete diagnostic and repair services for all makes and models of air conditioning systems. We offer a FREE 2nd opinion to any customer who has a repair estimate from another company, and our technicians are NATE Certified. Contact us today for an AC repair estimate today!